The Link_Man's Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 20 most recent journal entries recorded in
[ << Previous 20 ]
[ << Previous 20 ]
|Saturday, March 7th, 2009|
- Program for 3 hours. Unable to figure out output formatting. Bang head on desk.
- Go walk downtown and run into people. Take a break for 3 hours.
- Program for 1 hour. Everything magically works.
- Turn in work only a few hours overdue.
I'm happy this got done before I go home for break.
|Monday, February 2nd, 2009|
|Week of Hell, Part 1
So yeah, this week is going to suck, mostly because of Chem. I have work out the ASS I need to do, and only about half the time to do it (8 AM classes two days in a row, plus two projects due, GG).
Oh, and the chems midterm is next monday. So on top of getting caught up, I need to study for that.
|Monday, December 22nd, 2008|
Winter break has started; while I'm not that huge on the Christmas thing, I can finally have the time to do some more important activities, like:
- Draw every day
- Work on ignored projects*
- Be much more physically active
*Mostly my websites design, some programming work, and other small things.
|Monday, December 8th, 2008|
I just got back today from Vermont, the trip went something like this:
- Get to bus at 3 PM, leave around 4.
Estimated bus time until we pull into Killington, VT: 9 hours
- Watch the British and Australian guys I'm sitting with drink, hilarity ensues.
- Get bored of this after about 4 hours and people pass out, fall asleep, etc.
- Get to Rutland, VT around 11:30, stop at a grocery store to buy beer and food.
- Grocery has one register open at 11:45PM, takes over an hour to check out all 150 people.
- Arrive at Killington, VT around 1:30
- Spend 3 hours getting 150 people checked in. It is now 4:30AM
- Sleep until 7:30AM, slopes open at 8.
- Get up on the mountain and break in all of my gear
Around this time some dumb Asian kid in the lift line decides to whack the back of my snowboard, leaving this nice gaper gash. This de-laminated part of the top sheet and is going to need epoxied after the end of the trip. GG =\
- Eat a frozen cliff bar. Mmm, chewy.
- Go off boxes and rails in the park. It felt cool. xD
- Go down a double black diamond run only to find the entire run is covered with 4ft moguls, and the best way to navigate this is to snowboard down the mountain like a surfboard, with all of your weight in the back. Was really unnerving but felt cool at the end O.o
- Mountain closed, go back to room, maintain gear, sleep.
- Go to Darkside snowboard. Didn't see too much since I get my gear off the net mostly.
- Got food from this grocery store nearby. The people were really friendly.
- I either went to or missed some party, and I can't remember which. >.>
- Pass out around midnight
- Get up at 8 again, snowboard until 3
- By some miracle find the bus to take us back home. End up packing up gear and changing on the bus.
- In another small miracle we don't lose any of the 150 people brought along, even with the complete lack of communication during the entire trip.
- 9 hour bus ride back. On the way up we stopped at this rest stop that sells water in Flasks
. I got a few. While the site says they're "fashionable canteens", I think PSU should start carrying this brand. It'd be really popular. >_>
Sometime around 1:30 AM....
After spending 8 hours on the bus basically asleep, we're one hour away from home when SMOKE starts filling up the back of our tour bus. After some cries of "OMG THE BUS IS ON FIRE!" we pulled over and evacuated the bus on the side of the road. It turned out some... thing
in the back of the engine decided to catch on fire, and no one had any idea what the thing actually did in the engine.
One hour away from home, we had to sit and wait for another hour until they could send out another bus, with us finally getting home around 3:30 AM. I didn't actually get back until well after 4:30.
- Get up at 9
- Write the ENTIRETY of my CAS 100A speech, AND additional power point, today, in approximately 3 hours.
- Present speech at 3:30 PM
- Start working on Comp Sci stuff. I might need to take 121 again, again. Please kill me.
- I still don't know what freaking bear eggs are.
I'll link a post to some photos when I get more time. Current Mood: tired
|Friday, December 5th, 2008|
|Wednesday, October 29th, 2008|
of mine posted a small puzzle earlier about a mysterious sign by the road, check it out:
"DO NOT POST PICTURES OF THIS SIGN ON THE INTERNET"
- When converted to ASCII or Unicode, the results are gibberish, AND
- It's exactly 128 bits long, the same size as an MD5 Checksum.
I'm somewhat unfamiliar with cryptography still, so please correct me if any of the terminology is wrong.
Going along that line of thinking, you can convert almost any string of text into an MD5 checksum just using some simple tools available on the internet. There is even a giant hash table of MD5 strings
that you can check the hashes against.
So, In short:
986f64b93005e03efc42a41ebd573179 = http://pbwiki.com/content/jobs
That URL does indeed hash to the MD5.
PbWiki is located not far from San Fransisco, in San Mateo, CA, so it's not that unreasonable to conclude that the sign actually is a job advertisement. =P
Or, I'm way off and this could be anything.
|Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008|
I just found out that my CAS 100A (Speech) lecture was canceled today. Let me quote the email:
"We will not be having class today (Sept. 3). I am not well and find myself without a voice."
BEST. REASON. EVER.
|Sunday, August 24th, 2008|
I finally have my car, it's a 1998 Ford Escort SE. Not bad, really.
But, I was flipping through the manual, and found this in my cars maintenance manual:
on properly cleaning your vehicle -
"...to maintain the quality of your vehicles exterior, remove particles such as bird droppings, tree sap, insect remains, tar spots, road salt, and fallout immediately.""...tar spots, road salt, and fallout..."
What exactly is Ford trying to tell me; I mean, what kind of fallout? Like, nuclear fallout? Because, during a nuclear war, washing your vehicle is going to be so, so VITALLY important. Or, maybe, it's if someone falls out onto your car, and makes a bloody mess. Heck if I know. Current Mood: happy
|Friday, August 22nd, 2008|
I guess the ITG machine's power cord at CMU is getting taken again. I came up with an awesome action plan for you guys, I think it'll really
help you out:
|Tuesday, August 12th, 2008|
- Since no one on the way down brought a map, we ended up using my GPS.
- The Hotel was alright, but literally EVERYTHING cost extra. Because internet was $10/day on the room bill, I am just now getting connected again.
- I hacked into a Marina's internet from across the harbor but it was giving me <1kbps external connections. Poopy.
- Got up at 5:30 and went to the convention center to get my badge. Because of my impeccable timing ability, we were close to the front; while the remainder of the line snaked around the building TWICE as people arrived.
- Discovered that fast food in Baltimore is now $10 a meal, for a few sandwiches and a drink. Was not amused.
- Walked around more, hit up the dealers room for swag.
- Ended up going to the Hentai Panel. It was a lot less 'erotic' as much as sexual, but definitely worth the hilarity. xD
I really wasn't tired friday night, so ended up walking around the hotel for awhile. Eventually I ended up walking Leo back to the bus stop to his hotel. We then found out on the way that the bus only ran once every HOUR
, so he was better off staying at our hotel because Baltimore is shady and ghetto. I was pretty hungry by now (Hadn't eaten for like 16 hours) so we ended up looking for somewhere that was open. A guy in my Hotel earlier suggested this place called "Captain Jacks"; some seafood place not that far away. I checked this on my Phone and it was like .75 miles, so we decided to walk it.
Through the most ghetto section of Baltimore.
At 4:30 AM.
"Thank you for making the store very fresh" - Leo
While on the way we found an All-Night CVS, and hit it up. Inside we found one of the cashiers spraying air freshener in every aisle. When she finally finished and we were able to buy some stuff we grabbed, apparently this homeless who smelled like ASS was in there just 5 minutes before, and she was trying to get rid of it. But as we left he decided to come BACK, much to the displeasure of the cashier. xD
So after walking like 50 miles through the ghetto of Baltimore we finally get to the place known as "Captain Jacks" (Actually I think it was Captain James, but fuck that I'm calling it Captain Jacks), and some black dude with a girl was there. I dunno if it was his girlfriend or just some hooker he picked up; but they were eating soup. Not long later the chick decides to spill some of her soup on the floor (She still had like 3/4 of her soup left) and basically orders her homeboy to bitch until she gets more soup. The guy at the counter is all like "uhh we can't do that", and this goes on for like 15 minutes. Eventually they just get up and leave, but not before coming back THREE MORE times, to complain even more.
Eventually we were able to order some food and leave, but the cashier, an Arab guy about my age, was pretty cool. Apparently he normally doesn't work the night shift, and the normal guy called in sick. He gave us our drinks for free, so we probably were the only pleasant people he met that entire night.
- Saw real, live, Baltimore Sewer Rats. they're about 10 inches long, and a kind of black-grey with white speckles. Maybe 1d6 damage, 15hp?
- Walked around even more Saturday.
- Voracious numbers of furries did descend upon Otakon, for no verifiable reason.
- Went to a Video Game Design workshop, and it SUCKED. It started out as programming in C++, but then degraded into this crappy flash based game design workshop. Gay. And the guy running the workshop? About as charismatic as a rock, making programmers look even more anti-social then they already are. Which is a HARD, HARD thing to do.
- Ate dinner at this place which was like $30 a person. Phillip's Seafood Buffet has stunningly AMAZING food, but srsly 30$ each? wtf .:\
- Finally checked out the Artist's Alley. The 18+ section was disappointing, with me finding more racy art in the normal convention area then inside the special 'adult' section.
- Went and saw some movie panels with 7-10 friends. Much hilarity did ensue.
Blood, Gore + Sex: The Movie
< Putting Link Here soon as it's uploaded >
- Picked up a airsoft gun from a vendor, at a very nice price. They were sold out of "Otakon 2008" shirts though =(
I think that's about it, I'll probably edit this up over the next day or so; so consider this post a rough draft =P
|Thursday, August 7th, 2008|
I'll be back sometime next week. Later. =P Current Mood: excited
|Monday, August 4th, 2008|
I don't really have anything paragraph worthy to post, but here's a little list of things going on:
- I got sick, and got better. Tonsillitis for teh lose.
- I gained weight. I don't really LOOK fatter, so it's possible it's muscle (yay!) but... fat is bad. I guess I need to swim more?
- Otakon Trip might be a go after all.
- Math class didn't work out. Again. My parents kinda freaked out and are having me get professional tutoring now; so we'll see how that goes. It's also ALMOST
totally screwed my college career, so um... yeah O.o
I was up the whole night screwing with my file server, getting swat working so I can configure samba better has been a pain. I've got a test for that tutoring thing in a few hours; so I guess I'll just stay up.
Even with some of those negative events having happened, things seem to be looking a lot better then they did a few months ago. *shrug* Current Mood: Evil
|Monday, July 14th, 2008|
So, earlier I got my parents car washed. While in the middle of wash, seriously EVERY warning light on the vehicles dash decided to turn on, and start screaming "OH SHIT SHIT WHATS GOING ON?". So me, thinking the car was overheating, turn the car off. The car wash stopped washing awhile later, so I turn the key to star the car again.
I try it a second time for a few seconds longer.
Nothing. Well, Shit.
So I'm stuck in the middle of an automatic car wash with a dead car. I can't really leave it where it was (it's in the middle of the car wash and blocking shit). So, thinking about this for a bit, I figure I can maybe push the car out somewhere where they can jump it, or whatever. I get out, stepping in a large pile of soap suds, and start trying to push the car out of the car wash. It's working fine for a bit, but then after a few seconds of pushing, I realize something.
Oh no fucking way. The car wash had a ramp. The car was rolling back TOWARDS ME.
I guess the floor in there is all like wtf and is inclined on all sides so the soap goes in the drain. The ramp behind me caught the car though, so I was kinda able to 'rock' it out of the car wash with some effort. Have you ever TRIED pushing a 4000lb car, alone, uphill? It sucks. With so much fucking soap everywhere I thought that car was gonna fucking roll on top of ME and be all like "Fuck you bitch yo fucking DEAD".
That's pretty much it though, I pushed the car off to the side, and called my dad to come and jump it. I guess the battery was low in the car and no one told me, or knew about it, or whatever. Gay :\
|Thursday, July 3rd, 2008|
|I'm a lifeguard!
(This was in a draft for the last week or so, I dunno why it never got posted.)
I finally finished lifeguard training. The final test was a bit scary, since they just randomly give you a rescue buoy and have you watch the water, and see how you react to a 'real situation'. It's all good though, I passed and can work just about anywhere lifeguards do stuff. Anyway...
Now, the lifeguard class was held at a local business school, and on the wall to class i'd pass a most intriuging poster. Take a look for yourself: Another reminder that you're better off at a 4 year college
I'm not sure about you, but doesn't this poster just make you want to drop everything, and sign up for this UBER Office Technology Degree?
Didn't think so.
|Monday, May 5th, 2008|
I found this photo on my drive a little bit ago. This sign was above a urinal in Osmond around January, take a look:
|Sunday, May 4th, 2008|
|Coolness is dying?
Being bored last night, I went and looked at a few websites I used to really like when I was a lot younger. Almost all of them are still around in some form, but the content on them is no where near what it used to be. Here's a few of them, and what's changed.
I used to really like this site when I was in middle school, but it's current incarnation is just a shade of what made it liked by so many people. Although the original site code remains, it's covered by this weird facade of Flash, Java, and PHP adds that makes the site almost unusable. They also removed most of the original UI; site navigation is now a total pain in the ass and almost impossible.
A bit of research revealed that Neopets had been bought out by MTV in 2007 for 160 million. It's not surprising then that they're turning it into an advertising farm.
World of Warcraft
Golden Age: 2004-2006
Decline: Isn't really in decline, but slowly is losing why I liked it.
When this game came out, it was freaking amazing. I played myself for almost 3 years, but unlike neopets it's still mostly easy to use. What happened here was, the constant influx of people eventually replaced the social group that played the game. Gone were the nice variety of people from all walks of life you'd run into, but instead WoW became a mainstream thing that everyone and their grandma played. This actually enriched the game, but what's killing it is the consistant 'dumbing down' that's happening from Blizzard's attempt to please everyone at the same time. The result is a game that, although still fun; (I can still play a Paladin to this day!) just doesn't have what it used to in gameplay and feels kinda mindless.
There's also some level of commercialization, not unlike neopets. Trading Cards, Figurines, Pins, etc.
2004-2006 or so
This site went from being pretty awesome and entertaining on a consistent basis, and then literally overnight with a format change started going downhill. Granted, I LOVE orange, but the site pretty much has been losing users ever since then. That and the lack of original user generated content has pretty much meant this site is kinda dead.
Oh, and fyrestorm stopped making YTMND soundtracks.
Other sites that have gone downhill:
- The general OEC community. Save for a few sites like Veritas that thrive due to other reasons, most are shades of what they used to be.
- Limewire. What used to be a great p2p tool is now just a good way for the RIAA to find you. Bittorrent is your friend.
-4chan. Not much to say here, but take a look at it. It's REALLY not what it used to be.
I think it was in Pirates of the Caribbean they said "The world isn't getting smaller, there's just less in it". The passing of time sucks =( Current Mood: meh
|Sunday, April 27th, 2008|
Stuff that happened today:
- Got totally owned due to pad issues at the ITG/DDR tournament. Basically, I practiced beforehand, and got a 94.8 on one pad. Then, during the competition, they had me use a different one, which didn't register half the time. So, I failed the song.
And yeah, Jason placed 1st place. He actually got a Trophy for it, cool shiznet.
- Played WarCrack (read- WoW) during the tournament, Since Jared had to play. I guess Paladins can stand in for other Paladins 100% of the time, even if they haven't played in 6 months (like in my case).
- Went to the Diner at 2:30 AM, in an attempt to clear my head a bit. This didn't go so well...
I've had a lot on my mind lately. Most of it's school related, with my grades this semester being beyond horrible to the point where I might have to repeat a few courses over the summer. It's not fun, since I entered college almost a year later then everyone I know, and it seem to be a perpetual game of 'catch up' with the rest of my peer group.
That said, most of what's on my mind is not knowing what's going to happen in regards to my future. I still haven't defined a major, and don't really see anything that I'm "destined" to do, so much as a lot of things I could merely tolerate doing, but never truly enjoy.
Save for a few extremely specific things, I really don't know what I want in life in terms of a Job. I can't see the future, even though that'd probably be the most helpful thing right now.
So... yeah. Current Mood: Stupid Emo Bitch
|Saturday, April 26th, 2008|
I was walking down the hall to get some water about 30 minutes ago, and this random guy notices my presence, and bows at me from across the hall.
*shrug* Current Mood: confused
|Monday, March 17th, 2008|
To start off this new chapter of crazed, long, and many posts, I'll start it off with an example of modern entertainment:
I turn on the TV at 4:30 in the morning (Math Homework means no sleep for the wicked), only to see a man getting attacked by a haunted bagpipe, and then some sort of Scottish magic stole his trousers.
It's probably just lack of sleep, or maybe the result of the recent writers strike shaking up well, everything that's on television now; but it was one of the more entertaining things I've witnessed in awhile.
|Wednesday, February 13th, 2008|
If I can keep up the number above, the next 3 weeks should be somewhat epic. I'll say what was going on after this is over.